This page provides a simple rundown of how to do some zinc plating. The basic "recipe" is:
- Fill the container about half way with vinegar (vinegar is mild acetic acid).
- Put the zinc anode into vinegar and let it sit for several hours, allowing some of the zinc to dissolve.
- Add 100 g/l of Epsom Salts to increase conductivity
- Add 120 g/l of table sugar as a "brightener"
- Connect one flashlight battery (1-1/2 volts) to the penny and the zinc anode
- Place anode and penny into the solution. Don't let them touch each other.
Penny should be coated within a few minutes.
Where to buy zinc?
- Go2Marine.com has 3"x3"x0.5" plates for $8.95, and 3"x6"x0.5" plates for $10.82.